My wife is getting ready to retire in a few years. I’ve recently retired and we’re going to be going on Medicare soon. We’re looking to do some Roth conversions. If we time our Roth conversions to end in the same year that we retire, can we submit a form to the Social Security Administration and explain to them that we’ve had a life-changing event to reduce our IRMAA (income-related monthly adjustment)?

That’s the reader question Jeffrey “The Buckinghammer” Levine, director of advanced planning at Buckingham Wealth Partners, answered in this episode of Ask the Hammer.

Got questions?

Email [email protected]

More Ask the Hammer

Ask the Hammer: How to Invest the Fixed-income Portion of Your Portfolio

Ask the Hammer: Should Parents Provide Financial Support to Adult Children?

Ask the Hammer: What’s the Value of a Risk Tolerance Questionnaire?

Ask the Hammer: Tips on Selecting the Best Retirement Plan Payout Option

Ask the Hammer: What Are The Distribution Rules for Beneficiaries of Inherited IRAs?

Ask the Hammer: Should We Worry About the National Debt?

Ask the Hammer: Tax Consequences to Selling Assets in a UTMA or UGMA

Ask the Hammer: Three Tips on Buying a Used Car

Ask the Hammer: Who Qualifies for a Coronavirus-related Distribution?

Ask the Hammer: Is it Possible to Put an RMD Back Into an IRA?

Ask the Hammer: What Does Reg BI Mean for Investors?

Follow us on Instagram and Twitter!

Source link